MVShield for Yocto
MVShield for Yocto is MontaVista’s professional services offering to support customer’s open-source Yocto baselines to allow access to industry-leading support and maintenance services without any migration effort to commercial Linux baselines.
MontaVista offers to maintain and support the customer’s specific Yocto branch Linux distribution.
Linux in general is an evolving operating system platform with new features, architecture, bug fixes, and CVEs integrated into the head of trunk on a daily basis. While staying on the main branch may be advantageous to pick up all these additions, it is impractical if an engineering team is developing a product. The team will require a fixed code base to control the stablility and quality. It will however need the ability to integrate custom content (like added value functionality of the company product), along new features, bug fixes, and security patches not in the chosen code development branch.
Maintaining a products Linux branch requires creating a process that allows:
1) Integration of patches and features for the Linux development base
2) Backporting of required patches from newer or head of branch Linux streams
3) Consistent daily and weekly builds
4) Robust quality assurance(QA)
MontaVista has been maintaining Linux products for our customer base for 20 years. Whether it is a direct CVE fix or backport from a newer Linux branch, we supply CVEs and bug fixes that are put through our high value QA. We can also assist companies setup and maintain a frozen branch for their development that incorporates MontaVista Linux along with their custom content.
MVShield for Yocto services from MontaVista includes the following:
- Extended support and maintenance term, up to 10 years or more
- Security/CVE and defect fixing on the customer chosen Yocto baseline
- Technical support based on an agreed Service Level Agreement, customizable to customers’ needs, including 24x7 option
- Additional professional services for board support packages, device driver optimization or any other embedded software enhancements.
Customers’ product teams also have the option to start development with OpenCGX baseline that is similar to MontaVista’s market leading CGX product, with the option to seamlessly migrate to either commercially supported CGX product at a later point, or continue to use their chosen baseline as a Yocto Product Branch (or Frozen Branch), as needed for their IoT/Edge, Medical, 5G and network infrastructure products.
The MVShield for Yocto service is available now.